Start a new topic

Ability to downgrade firmware

Hi,

I'm one of the maintainers of the opensource project https://github.com/mirko/SonOTA , however with the latest release there appears to be certificate pinning (or similar) happening. This means that users can only upgrade the firmware in the Sonoff devices if they open it up, and solder in headers.

Using this OTA method users could get all of the benefits of an open platform, without the the need to open up the device and solder etc.

To allow customers to still do this, it would be great if you could either, provide a way of having an alternative update server (with no certificate pinning), or allow using to downgrade to previous versions of firmware that did allow SonOTA to work.

Your help is appreciated to allow every to benefit from the open platform.

Thank you.

79 people like this idea

I second this!

9 people like this

I fully support this request. 

I have 10 of these switches. My friends want a similar setup but do not want to be reliant on a cloud service therefore I cannot recommend this solution in good conscious for the following reasons.

1 for security reasons i dont like 3rd parties having access to my home even if indirectly

2 its really slow when internet connectivity is not stable

3. soldering on equipment that meant to control your house electricity does not go down well with insurance companies should anything go wrong.  

As per Sillyfrog recommendation there can be easier ways to allow firmware upgrade and downgrade and I will rather go with alternative 433mhz solutions if I am locked into a cloud service.

13 people like this

I second this!

9 people like this

ITEAD, this is your one and only chance. If you want to be the open ESP 8266 provider of choice then allow us to OTA reflash. Otherwise someone else will.

I have many customers who like your solution, but we HAVE to be able to easily reflash with other software.

Decide now if you are a hardware vendor or a software vendor. Whether you support open development and new product lines or want to be a closed provider like all of the others.

16 people like this

I agree Peter!

I must say, I pretty much only bought it because you can flash it. The hardware is great for the price but only in combination with custom firmware.

10 people like this

This. Come on Itead, you write that you have open source hardware, listen to your customers! A downgrade to v1.55 PLEASE!

9 people like this

Yes please i would like this very much!!

7 people like this

We need this! This was the main reason I bought my 9 devices. Anyone knows a good alternative?

7 people like this

Agree. We need this!

7 people like this

We need this. I bought those devices for this single reason and because it was not that someone had found a way to hack it, but because it was claimed openly by Sonoff that it was intentionally flashable.

7 people like this

I mailed with them before I bought it and they stated they support custom firmware and that the device is "open". However, after the latest firmware I contacted iTead again and this is there last response:

Sorry,i have consult my leader,we don't support customer change the firmware,just support update the firmware we release.

7 people like this
I think requesting allowing downgrades in the app is the most likely path that will work. It's a shame they are not appealing to what must be their biggest customer base :(

8 people like this

I bought 9 Sonoff devices (4xPOW, 5xS20) because of the ease of installing Tasmota via SonOTA - and planned to buy more. If I have to disassemble / solder / serial flash / reassemble... then I can do that with any esp8266-based device. The ability to OTA install custom firmware was the sole selling point and product differentiator for these products. Whether or not Itead decides to re-enable this functionality is their business decision, but it will impact my future purchase decisions.

7 people like this

Exactly right. I ended up sending my volume purchase back.

Also there is the newer ESP32.

ITEAD have really blown it here. Competition is fierce and distancing your maker community is a disaster.

6 people like this
Login or Signup to post a comment