Start a new topic

Ability to downgrade firmware

Hi,

I'm one of the maintainers of the opensource project https://github.com/mirko/SonOTA , however with the latest release there appears to be certificate pinning (or similar) happening. This means that users can only upgrade the firmware in the Sonoff devices if they open it up, and solder in headers.

Using this OTA method users could get all of the benefits of an open platform, without the the need to open up the device and solder etc.

To allow customers to still do this, it would be great if you could either, provide a way of having an alternative update server (with no certificate pinning), or allow using to downgrade to previous versions of firmware that did allow SonOTA to work.

Your help is appreciated to allow every to benefit from the open platform.

Thank you.

79 people like this idea

It's really not that hard to flash Tasmota on the things using a USB to serial adapter and Arduino IDE.  I was kind of scared of it at first, but with about $12-$15 in parts from Amazon, I have not successfully flashed 5 Sonoff switches: 4 basics, and I just did a TH10 this evening.

1 person likes this
Can you please ensure firmware flashing OTA works again? Also for alternatieve firmwares? Downgrading is one option but other ways would be fine too.

3 people like this
The ability to do an OTA firmware update was a hack and a security hole.  I know we all lament the loss of this feature.  But from a consumer standpoint, closing this hole was a good thing.

It's really VERY easy to flash these things using a serial to USB adapter.  I have done 3 of these things so far.

1 person likes this

Thanks Andy. I get it is not very hard but the OTA enabled the option to do it after the unit were physically installed (like in a wall). I understand, after reading a bit more, that the certificate pinning is a good security check as you state as well. It would be very cool if ITEAD could sign/certify 3rd party firmwares (analogue to the app store at Apple -> review the code and then publish it with ITEAD's signature on it). Hopefully, this is something they can explore.

2 people like this
I hadn't thought about ones already in a wall.  I'm just starting out on my Sonoff journey, so I don't have anything out of reach yet.

TBH, Sonoff devices only have value to me with Tasmota on them.  I don't want my IOT devices phoning home to some central server.  It would be nice if I could order switches from Itead with either the stock firmware OR Tasmota on them.  Flashing them is not a huge deal, but to have them come directly from someone with Tasmota pre-installed would  make my life that little bit easier.

My biggest problem with flashing them is whenever I hook up the USB to serial adapter, my cats suddenly get VERY curious and jump up on the table.  I'm going to assume if a partial flash occurs. then I can always just reflash, since I don't think the flash messes with the boot loader.

1 person likes this
Please add the downgrade feature or the possibility to select another update server so that the platform is more open. This would help a lot of people. This is a great opportunity to stand out from other competitors and this would be very much appreciated by the community that obviously likes your products.

1 person likes this

this feature would be great

Hello,

I am building a new house and wanted to go for sonoff T1 with  Tasmota for all my switches ( specially to be able to make 2/3/4 way switches, and privacy..

If we cannot easily downgrade/install Tasmota into the T1, I will reconsider my choice, as purchasing and flashing 40 switches will be a looong way...

Please allow us to flash Tasmota with OTA easily, you have everything to win doing that.

Regards,

Jean

Fully agree with the feature !

Login or Signup to post a comment