Start a new topic

How to control Sonoff over Internet?

Hello,

I am new to using Sonoffs, new to this forum and this is my first post.

I have a Sonoff 4CH Pro R2 that I ahve set up to control 3 different devices all running on 12V DC.

I have got them all working fine controlling them through my Android devices when they are conntected to my home WiFi network. That's great but I need to be able to control these devices when I'm away from home too. When I turn off the WiFi on the Android phone  and force it to connect to the Internet over LTE, I get the "Network Unavailable" error message.

If I logoff eWeLink and try to logon again when not connected to my WiFi network, I get a "Login Failed, Please Try Again Later" error message.

Am I missing something here? I thought you were supposed to be able to control these Sonoffs remotely over the Internet. If you can't then they're not of much use. I can control these devices manually when I'm at home so being able to control them with the Sonoff only when I'm within range of my WiFi network defeats the purpose of using them.

How can I make it so I can control the Sonoff over the Internet via my phone's  4G/LTE connection? Where are there instructions for this?

If it happens to be important, I am located in Canada and my cell phone provider is Virgin/Bell.

Okay, I did that and got the WiFi symbol on the Devices page. Still doesn't work. As soon as I turn off WiFi on the phone  or walk out of range of the WiFi and force it to switch to LTE I get the network unavailable message. Any more ideas?

I would get a smaller sim card to test directly on the newer phone to get me out of doubt. Later you can get a sim card adapter to continue using this new sim card in the older phone.

I ordered an adaptor off eBay yesterday. I expect it to arrive in a couple days. I will cut my micro sim down to a nano sim so I can try going through LTE with Phone 2 and see what happens. I'll report back when I've done that.

Login or Signup to post a comment